Friday, August 7, 2009

Swiss Meringue Butter Cream

There is only one word to describe this frosting ... Yummyyyy!!! It's light and delicious.

I have always been using butter icing: a combination of butter, icing sugar, pinch of salt and vanilla essence. And I love it.

Swiss Meringue Butter Cream (SMBC) is something that I have seen in recipe books but I never tried it out until yesterday.

I used SMBC to frost the Chocolate Oreo cupcakes. This frosting is very simple to make. I found the recipe on Dyann Bakes.

First, double boil the the eggs whites, sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk the mixture on the double boil.


Keep whisking until the sugar is disolved. If the sugar is not completely dissolved, then the end result will be grainy.

Then remove from heat and whisk it at medium speed on a mixer until meringue is stiff, and the mixing bowl is cool to the touch. The meringue will be white and shiny, and sticky!

Here's a tip: To save time and mess, I used my Kenwood mixing bowl over the double boil. Then straight onto the mixer. Do this only if your mixing bowl is heat resistant.

As you can see, I am using a thermometer below. You don't need a thermometer to do this recipe. I was just testing out my new toy.

Only when the bowl is cool, switch to the paddle attachment. Still on medium speed, add the butter a few cubes at a time.

A word of caution: You want to combine the meringue and butter evenly. If the bowl is still hot, the butter will melt and will not combine well.

Continue beating until butter is mixed well. If at any point in time, you find that the mixture looks watery or curdling, don't panic. Keep beating and until it all comes together.

Then increase the speed and beat until everything is smooth.

Lastly, add flavorings or colour of your choice. I used vanilla essence.

Below are cupcakes decorated by my three mini chefs!


My next project: Italian Meringue Butter Cream (IMBC).

2 comments:

CJane said...

This is just cute and yummy-looking! I might just try out this recipe for my fiance too! Thanks for sharing the link and the photos, Yuha. :)

yuha said...

You are most welcome, Jane. Isn't the Internet a great place for sharing and finding gems like these...

Happy trying...

 

Party With Cakes Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design